Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Keep Climbing...

It was 104° F. Sweltering heat. I took a day away from the office to clear my head, but I decided that I would at least make my time somewhat productive.

Hike.

That's what I'll do.

Well, it sounded like a good idea at the time. Of course, I hydrated myself with Starbucks beforehand. A Caffe' Americano. That's Italian for "don't drink before climbing a mountain". So, off I went on my little adventure, just me and my thoughts. Dangerous...I know.

As I started up the mountain, I thought it might be a good idea to jog it. After about a hundred feet of running uphill, I decided I better slow my roll and try a brisk walk instead.

As I continued on, I grew weary. I was tired. Exhausted. The heat seemed to overwhelm me. I had been hiking for a while and knew I couldn’t be far from this beautiful view that I had heard so much about. I forced myself to continue on. But, I didn’t feel like it. I didn’t want to continue. However, I pushed through the pain and continued forward with the understanding that something amazing was at the end of this journey.

As I rounded the last corner...there it was; a gorgeous view! I immediately forgot all about the effort it took to get there. I forgot all about the pain, the heat, the exhaustion. I was focused solely on what was at the end of the journey and it was simply beautiful. It made it all worthwhile.

One Sunday afternoon, I decided to take my son hiking on this same trail. At 12 years old, I figured he would enjoy the challenge and he is certainly more fit than I am. So, we loaded up our backpack with all the necessities...you know...chips, candy, beef jerky...and oh yeah, I think we had some water somewhere too.  About half way through, my son was growing weary. He was tired. Exhausted. I knew the heat that day was working against us, but I also knew what was at the end of the journey. I wanted him to see what I had saw. Although the trail twisted and turned, became narrow at times, and seemed to get steeper the further we climbed, I knew what was at the top. I urged him to continue on and told him that it would all be worth it. He didn't feel like it. He didn't want to continue. But, we just pushed through the pain. 



During the journey, I started talking to him about God. As we talked, he said, "But Dad, I don't ever feel God. I said, "Son, sure you do. We feel Him all the time. Sometimes you just have to be still and know He is there." Then, I reminded him that we feel the wind, but we can't see it. I continued..."You know...we can't necessarily see the wind, but we know it's there...don't we?" He quickly agreed. I left the conversation at that. My hope is that one day, when he's being 'still', that the wind will blow and he will be reminded of those simple words I told him that day.

In life, we ALL have mountains and valleys to travel. Sometimes it's hot. Sometimes it becomes exhausting. Sometimes we have rocks in our shoes and it hurts to continue on. Sometimes the climb seems so steep that we would rather turn around and go back. Sometimes we just don't feel like it.

What mountain are you climbing right now? Are you going through a divorce? A troubled relationship? Are you battling an addiction? Facing fears that seem immeasurable? 

Keep climbing. 



Push through the pain. 


Even when the climb seems too steep, keep going.  


When you finally make it through you will come out on top of the mountain. 


And the view is out of this world.

Romans 8:18 - "Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later."


James 1:12 - "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."


God never allows pain without a purpose in the lives of His children. He never allows Satan, nor circumstances, nor any ill-intending person to afflict us unless He uses that affliction for our good. God never wastes pain. He always causes it to work together for our ultimate good, the good of conforming us more to the likeness of His Son (see Romans 8:28-29).  ~ Jerry Bridges



KC








2 comments:

  1. Wow! A very powerful message. This came at the perfect time. My sister is really struggeling right now with her divorce and your words were so perfect. God has a reason for everything and we all just need to keep our hearts turned to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. God does have a reason for everything and sometimes it takes us a while to see it. Our job isn't always to understand the 'why', but to simply follow what He tells us to do. It will never lead you wrong.

      Delete