Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I'm Glad You Called

I work with about 400 people in my office building. On any given day, you can usually hear the chatter among co-workers in hallways, break rooms and conference rooms.

But, not today.

Today, there was an eerie silence throughout the office. A guy that I worked with took his own life this past weekend. I really didn’t know him or his story, but I can remember the first time I met him. He wasn’t someone you would easily forget. I’m 6’2” and I had to physically look up to greet him. He was a tall man with a moustache, deep voice and always seemed to garnish a smile.

As I sat at my desk today, I couldn’t help but wonder how many of us hide behind a smile during the day, but we’re silently hurting. I wonder how many of us just need a phone call, even if it’s just a simple “Hi, how are you?”

Because, the truth is, you never really know the power of a smile, a few kind words or picking up the phone to say, “hello”. Never underestimate how important you are to the lives of those around you.

So, if someone is on your mind, a few simple words might change everything.

They might be glad you called.

2 comments:

  1. Very true! I just found out about an old friend that over dosed last weekend....She could have used someone to help her im sure...A lot of the time its just pain that they are covering up by using...I bet that was a very somber day for everyone....So sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder. We get so busy with what is going on in our lives that we take for granted how quickly it can change. We think "I'll call them tomorrow" but what if tomorrow never comes. I am sorry to hear about your co-worker. I hope that his soul is now at peace. I hope you have been well. Heidi

    ReplyDelete